I am researching for a build I would like to do from a lot of spare server parts I've hoarded. Basically what I would like to create is a Sandstorm server but with Sandstorm business features specifically the enterprise features which are still not released. I do not need LDAP and the other "sandstorm work" features so a basic sandstorm install will do, but I would like automatic scale out, automatic failover, and as much data redundancy and resiliency as possible.
The goal is to provide a sandstorm service that is near equivalent to the Sandstorm Oasis service but with massively more storage for myself, family, and some friends and completely replace google services with as little maintenance as possible. I require, myself alone, orders of magnitude more storage than Oasis even offers in its largest subscription and at what they would charge I might as well run my own.
- FOSS (GPL or compatible preferred)
- As low maintenance as possible
- High Availability
- Load Balancing
- Must run on Linux (Can not use BSD)
- Data Replication
- Data Redundancy
- Data Resiliancy
- Real Time synchronization
- Bit Rot detection
- Commodity Hardware
- Would be nice:
- Filesystem level encryption
- Automatic bit rot error correction
- Not having to deal with LVM, RAID, and dm-crypt separately
System Scaling Requirements:
- Scale out
- Ability to scale storage and compute arbitrarily
- Ability to scale storage and compute with non-identical hardware
Sandstorm Cluster Choices
Sorry if they are obvious again this is mostly new to me:
- Will GlusterFS work with Sandstorm? All examples I've found deal with websites and Sandstorm is very different with a variety web apps with different needs.
- If GlusterFS won't work with Sandstorm what distributed filesystem will?
- If I mount the GlusterFS storage onto the standard Debian OS because it is a userspace filesystem do I simply install Sandstorm on that mount point or export volume? Or do I need to install Sandstorm on Debian and configure sandstorm to use GlusterFS for all of its storage?
Note: I would have provided more links but I'm new here with a reputation limit. Also, I'm not allowed to add a Sandstorm tag.