I am in deep peril as I come to you. I am writing my thesis and all hell is loose. I have tried various solutions right from installing to everything online for over 20 days now. As a result, I cant remember the last time I had a proper shutdown. I shall explain my problem, the solutions I have tried and my dire need for a solution.
Connect PC to external monitor HP1955(do not know what happened). Work through the day. Shut down the system. Laptop monitor is well lit, and the system seems to be running. Thats it, Nothing works after that. It is stuck on it forever. Past 15 days I have NOT been able to shut down other than use hard shutdown power off button!
1) change grub data as given here
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force apm=power_off"&&
apm power_off=1in the modules file.
2) Changed the Additional drivers from open source to fglrx-proprietary, which is when the computer crashed majorly. Couldn't get it to boot at all. Used UBUNTU in command mode finally and took back up.
3) Reinstalled the system. Full disclosure: Installing Ubuntu 14.04 along side windows 8 was a three day ordeal, which resulted in it working and still had some issues like, the external monitor should not be connected while boot up else it will hang like mentioned at the top. I didn't bother about it as the system worked and I had other things to do.
- Reinstalled without formatting
- Reinstalled with formatting
Issue still persists. Cant shutdown peacefully at all.
nomodeset insertion at boot up by pressing
e and typing nomodeset next to
sudo swapoff -a; No change because of this
6) There is one more thing about redis, but there is no way for me to find out if thats the problem and I am scared as hell being a noob, as I am not able to do anything once the system is stuck
Sysreq doesn't work.
Esc Doesn't work.
7) Reinstalling the ubunutu desktop and unity sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop sudo apt-get install unity
8) sudo shutdown -h 0, doesn't work as well.
Somebody please help me. I dont know when my system will crash next. I need hard strong advice.
Further explanation of problem
I beleive it has everything to do with dual monitor VGA things. My system has a problem with external monitors always plugging into the VGA. I have never been able to start up with VGA connected. It was all working well until suddenly it started misbehaving and I tried several solutions, before giving up to reinstall and yet same problems.
When I try to remove the external monitor by switching it off from the
display setting, it does not switch off. It still works like usual. That is usually my cue that I am not going to be able to shutdown properly.
My laptop details are:
Memory : 3.3 GiB Processor: AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 2 Graphics : Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.6.0) OS Type : 64-bit Disk 137.8 GB Laptop : HP Pavillion g6
Dual boot with windows 8, which I almost never use, but I have my data there.